Have you ever heard about 301 Redirect
Do you know what it is 301 Redirect?
I saw there is lots of confusion among people about “301 Redirect”. Today I will tell you each and everything about it.
Before explaining you “301 Redirect”, first start with redirection.
What is Redirection?
Redirection is a process of directing or forwarding from one URL address to another URL address. It moves visitors from one web page to another. It is mainly done when requested page is unavailable.
Types of Redirection
There are mainly three types of redirection which are given below:
- 301 Redirect: It is permanent redirect which from one URL address to other.
- 302 Redirect: It is temporary redirect which also direct visitors from one URL to another but for temporary basis. It usually used when a site goes under some maintenance for some time.
- Meta Refresh: This redirect works on page level rather than server level. It is associated with a site which shows few seconds countdown with text “Click here, if you do not redirect in 3 seconds”
Now you know basic of redirection and its type, let’s move further.
What is 301 Redirect?
“301 Redirect” is an essential and important tool used for better SEO. It maintains a website domain authority and search engine ranking when you are moving a site from one URL address to other URL address.
- Beginner’s Guide About Search Engine Optimization and SEO Techniques?
- How to Improve Website Visibility on Google SERP?
Sometimes there comes a situation in your Blogging life when you may need to change your URL address from one to other URL. Then you need to take some important steps to make sure that your visitors are accessing the latest version of your website.
If you change URL of your website, your entire search engine ranking will be lost which drives traffic to your site. It will be a big loss for your site as you have to do everything again to get higher ranking of your site.
Are you feeling sad that all your hard work for increasing your site ranking will go in vain?
Don’t feel disappointed. Here is good news for you!
If you want to have the same ranking for the new version of your site than 301 Redirect can help to maintain it as well.
Do you still have any confusion about “301 Redirect”?
Let’s take an example to make it more clear to you.
When you type ‘google.com’ in your browser and press enter then it opens Google page. But if you ever noticed when this page opens, its URL address is something different. It is something like https://www.google.co.in/ .
You must know, these both are different URL but redirected to the same page.
Have you ever wondered how it changes?
It is because of “301 Redirect”. Google has set up 301 Redirect and linked both URL together. If have not done this yet, it’s high time to do because it helps to increase search engine ranking of your site and boost traffic to your site.
Why do you need to use 301 Redirect?
After reading the entire article about 301 Redirect, you may get an idea why you need to use it. But to make it more clear, I will tell you some reasons why you should use it which are as follows:
- It maintains the power of inbound link to the original URL of the website to new URL address or domain.
- To send your visitors to the new domain of your site whether they search for old URL.
- Rename your website address to new different address.
- To associate some common conventions like www, HTTP with one URL.
- Prevent from the duplicate content problem which is caused by www and non-www version of the site.
- Maintain your search engine ranking for changed URL of your site.
I hope you find this article informative. If you have not used 301 Redirects for associating “www” and “HTTP” convention as the same URL then do it. Moreover, It is “Search Engine Friendly” tool which helps to move one URL to another URL permanently. Additionally, 301 Redirect is a very effective tool to improve site ranking in organic search results.
Do have any query?
Leave a comment below.