If you have a blog on medium and thinking to Move your Blog from Medium to WordPress then read this entire post.I will tell you an easy way to do that.
Medium is a fully hosted blogging platform where you can write your thoughts, create stories, share your tips and learning. Moreover, It has built-in social networking features. In addition to this, Medium is reliable and easy to use blogging platform to start blogging by sharing stories.
Although, Medium is a free community but still people usually prefer WordPress to start blogging. Reasons behind that are the limitations of the Medium platform. Also, It does not provide the full control over your data and stories as Medium is owned by ‘A Medium Corporation’. So, They can cancel your account or delete your post any time whereas WordPress provide full control over your data. It allows you to own your blog.
Additionally, Medium offers you limited publication appearance as you cannot fully customize your content according to you whereas WordPress offers you a vast variety of free theme and plugins which enable you fully customize your blog.
Further, Another biggest reason that people are migrating Blog from Medium to WordPress is that Medium has limited monetization options. Whether you are a novice blogger but you will also want to monetize your blog in future. Moreover, WordPress is best blogging platforms to monetize your blog.
- How to Choose a Right Blogging Platform 2017
- Beginner’s Guide – How to Move Blog from Blogger to WordPress
- How to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress For Beginners
Do you want to migrate your Blog from Medium to WordPress?
Don’t worry. This post will provide you an easy way to migrate your Blog from Medium to WordPress.
How to Move a Blog from Medium to WordPress
It is very easy to move your all articles of Medium blog to WordPress. Besides, it will only take few minutes to do that.
Follow these steps to migrate your Blog from Medium to WordPress
Install and Setup a WordPress Blog
The first requirement for moving blogs from Medium to WordPress, you should have a WordPress blog. For that, you need to install the WordPress and setup a WordPress blog. It is very to easy to install WordPress. Additionally, I have already provided you a tutorial about how install and setup a WordPress blog using Bluehost in my previous article.
You need to have a Domain name and a web host for installing WordPress.
Purchase a Domain Name
There are many websites on the internet, where you can register a domain name. You can also register your domain name from hostgator. I will recommend you to purchase your web hosting and domain name from Bluehost which offers a free domain name for you.
Purchase a Web Hosting
Web hosting is a place where your website goes live on the internet. This is very important to buy web hosting for transferring your blog from blogger to WordPress because it provides storage space to save files, images, hosting data of your website or blog. As a told you above, I will recommend you purchase your web hosting from Bluehost.
- Top 10 WordPress Hosting Provider 2017
- Introduction about WordPress Hosting and its Type
- Top 5 Free Webhosting for WordPress Beginners
Once you have installed and Setup a WordPress blog, you are ready to move your Blog from Medium to WordPress.
- Login into your Medium account and Click on the profile picture at the top right corner of the Medium Dashboard. Then click on the ‘Settings’ from the fly down menu.
- You will see the ‘Account Setting Page’ on the next screen. Now scroll down the screen and click on the ‘Download Zip’ link given at the right corner of the screen under the ‘Export Content’ section.
On the next screen, you will see the ‘Export your Content’. Click on the ‘Export’ button.
- Next, you will receive a zip file of all your articles in your email. Email may take some time. So, have patience. An Email will include a link to ‘download your articles’. Click on the link and download this zip file to your computer.
- Extract the downloaded zip file. It will contain your articles in plain HTML format and also an XML file of name rss. You have to import this file to WordPress.
- Now, Login to your WordPress Dashboard. Click on the ‘Import’ under ‘Tools’ Option. Now click on the RSS link on the screen.
- Then you will see a pop-up on next screen of ‘RSS Importer Plugin’. You have to click on the ‘Install Now’ button.
- RSS Importer Plugin will be downloaded to your WordPress. After that click on the ‘Activate Plugin & Run Importer’.
- In next step, ‘Import RSS’, you have to choose RSS file from your computer by click on the button ‘Choose File’ and then click on the ‘Upload file and import’ button.
- WordPress will upload your file and import your all articles of WordPress blog.
Then you will see a message on the screen ‘All Done, Have Fun’ in the end when all your articles will be successfully imported to your WordPress.
- Next, you have to import images from Medium to WordPress library as they are not imported with your articles. For importing external images to WordPress library, you have to install the plugin ‘Import External Images’. After installing the plugin, you have to activate the plugin.
- Once you have activated the plugin, go to ‘Media’ option in your WordPress Dashboard. Then click on ‘Import Images’ under the ‘Media’. (Media > Import Images). After that Click on the ‘Import Images Now’button.
This will start uploading your images in the WordPress library. Only 50 images will be uploaded at a time. After that, it will show you the remaining images. Click on the ‘Import Images Now’ button again to import the remaining images.
It will also show you linked images in the post editor in case you want to import images selectively. All you have to do is go the edit screen of the specific post and import the images that you want.
In this way, you can successfully import your article, images or Blog from Medium to WordPress.
- How to Move Blog from Blogger to WordPress
- How to Choose a Right Blogging Platform
- How to Create a Free Blog on BlogSpot
- How to Start a Blog on WordPress
- How to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress
- How to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress For Beginners
I hope this tutorial will help you to move your articles and Blog from Medium to WordPress. If you have any question regarding this article, feel free to ask via. Comment section.