Do you want to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress? In this post, I will provide you an easy way to migrate your Tumblr blog to WordPress.
Tumblr is one of the most popular micro-blogging platforms on the web. Additionally, It is an excellent option for small business websites as well as for personal blogs. Moreover, It is also a social media platform. If you are serious about blogging, then tumbler is not the right platform for you because of its limitations.
Tumblr does not support a large number of plugins or themes to customize your blog. On the other side, WordPress is one of the best blogging platforms who are serious about blogging and want to full control on the server and the domain name of their blog. In addition, WordPress supports a wide variety of themes, plugins, and tools for customizing your blogs. This is the reason that Tumblr users are migrating to WordPress.
However, Tumblr does not allow direct migration via. Import/export option but I will provide you the step-by-step guide to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress.
How to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress
You need to follow the steps which are given below to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress.
- Login to your WordPress Dashboard.
Here you have to follow steps given below:
- Click on the ‘Tools’ option given on the right side of WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on the ‘Import’ option under ‘Tools’ (Tools > Import)
- Now click on the ‘Tumblr’ on the Dashboard screen.
- Now you will see a pop-up on next screen, where you have to click on the ‘Install Now’ button given below.
- Once Tumblr Importer plugin will get downloaded and you have to click on the link ‘Run Importer’.
Once you have activated this plugin and click on the ‘Tumblr’ plugin. Now it will take to you ‘Tumblr Importer Screen’. It will provide you set of instructions to follow for importing blogs from Tumblr.
Now you have to create an app on Tumblr with Tumblr API in order to Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress
How to Create An App On Tumblr
Follow the steps given below:
- Firstly, Visit the page ‘https://www.tumblr.com/login?redirect_to=%2Foauth%2Fapps’. After that click on the green button of ‘+Register Application’
- You will see a form on the next screen, fill at least four fields to submit this form.
Enter any name in the fields ‘Application Name’ and ‘Application Description’. Then enter URL address of your WordPress site in the ‘Application Website’ and ‘Default Callback URL’. You can leave the other fields blank.
Next, click on the ‘Register’ button.
- Once you have registered your app, you will be provided the ‘OAuth Consumer key’ and a ‘Secret Key’. Copy that consumer key and secret key both. Then click on the link ‘Show secret Key’ to get your secret key.
- Go back to your WordPress and paste both the keys into the fields ‘OAuth Consumer Key Field’ and ‘Secret Key’. Click on the button ‘Connect to Tumblr’.
When everything seems in order, then you need to ask the permission from Tumblr to “Authorize the Application”.
- On the next screen, you will be asked to ‘Allow’ or ‘Deny’ the authorization of application. Click on the ‘Allow’ button
- Now you will be redirected to the ‘Import Tumblr’ plugin and see a list of your Tumblr blogs in WordPress. Select the blog you want to import and click on the ‘Import this blog’ button then wait for some time to finish the migration.
Now your Tumblr blog is successfully imported to your WordPress site. You can see your Tumblr blogs on your WordPress site.
Redirecting the Traffic of Tumblr blog to WordPress
If you are using a custom domain name for your Tumblr blog, you should do the following things to redirect the URL to your new WordPress blog.
- Install and activate the Redirection WordPress Plugin and Activate.
2. Go to Tools>> Redirection, then create a new redirection using regular expression. Now, you need to fill the Target URL and Source URL. Then Click on the Add Redirection Button.
Now all of your old Tumblr blog URLs are redirected to your WordPress Post URLs.
Note: You should set your Permalink setting to post name. Just go to Settings > Permalinks to make the changes.
- How to Move Blog from Blogger to WordPress
- How to Choose a Right Blogging Platform
- How to Create a Free Blog on BlogSpot
- How to Start a Blog on WordPress
I hope this article helps you Move Your Blog from Tumblr to WordPress. If you have migrated your Tumbler blogs to WordPress by using any other way, please share with us in the comment section.If you have any query regarding this post, don’t hesitate to ask.
Like this post?